Messer & Messer Law Offices

Toll-Free 866-789-9936

Florida 772-204-0904

What happens if you are unable to make child support payments? - II

In our last post, we started discussing how even though it can sometimes be difficult to adjust to the new reality of making child support payments, those ordered to do so must understand that any underpayments or non-payments on their part can result in the Florida Department of Revenue utilizing one of many stringent enforcement mechanisms at its disposal.

To that end, we began discussing how the Department of Revenue pursues driver's license suspension. We'll continue this discussion in today's post, exploring the possibility of driver's license reinstatement and another potent collection tool available to the agency.

Once my driver's license is suspended for failure to pay child support, is it gone for a prolonged period?

The answer to this question depends largely on the willingness of the payor parent (i.e., the parent tasked with paying child support) to rectify the situation. Indeed, there are three ways for the payor parent to see their driver's license reinstated relatively quickly, including 1) paying the amount owed to the clerk of court in the applicable county, 2) paying the amount owed online at or 3) executing a written agreement at a local child support office.

Regarding this last point, a written agreement is a signed contract in which the parent in arrears promises to make monthly payments based on their ability to pay. It's important to note, however, that a written agreement doesn't actually alter the underlying terms of the child support order.

Is it only driver's licenses that are jeopardized by underpayment or nonpayment?

As we mentioned earlier, the Department of Revenue has a variety of powerful enforcement tools at its disposal, including the ability to come after professional, business and recreational licenses.

When the payor parent owes back child support, they will be sent a written notice warning them of the possibility of this type of action being taken and requesting that they come to a local child support office to reach a resolution. If the payor parent does not take any action within 30 days of the date the notice is sent -- paying the amount owed, entering a written agreement, requesting a hearing, etc. -- the Department of Revenue will contact the applicable licensing authority.

We'll conclude this important discussion in a future post.

Consider speaking with an experienced legal professional to learn more about your rights and your options if you have questions about child support modifications or enforcement.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information