Messer & Messer Law Offices

Toll-Free 866-789-9936

Florida 772-204-0904

3 tips for mothers coping with a child's spinal cord injury

Seeing your child in pain is something that no mother wants to experience. If your child suffers a spinal cord injury in a car accident or any other type of accident, you will likely see your child struggle greatly. When this happens, there are some ways that you can help yourself and your child adapt to a new way of life.

Learn the details

You are going to be the strongest advocate that your child has. You need to learn the specifics of childhood spinal cord injuries and treatments so that you can stand up for your child when necessary. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Demand that medical professionals let you know exactly what is going on. Don't let yourself be bullied into accepting everything without question. One important thing for you to know is what kind of injury your child has. This can give you the basic information you need to learn more about what your child might face.

Be prepared for intensive medical care

There are some basic things that your child is likely going to face after a catastrophic spinal cord injury. Your child is likely going to be in intensive care for monitoring. Depending on the level of the injury, your child might need support breathing, which is done through ventilation. Your child might also need a feeding tube, catheters and medications to help manage the injury and the side effects.

All of this medical care likely means that you and your husband will spend a lot of time at the hospital. This could make it difficult to keep your job, but your child may need to have a family member with them in the hospital. Once your child is out of the hospital, you are probably facing a lot of rehabilitation and doctors' appointments as the child's care plan advances.

Check insurance and resources

Your child's health care insurance might cover some of the costs of care; however, it might not be enough to cover the full costs of your child's recovery. You may have to turn to car insurance, property insurance or a lawsuit to get your child's medical care costs covered. If you opt to seek compensation from the negligent party, you might be able to seek compensa tion for other damages such as long-term rehabilitation costs, lost wages on your part due to care-giving, and the pain and suffering your family has endured.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information