Steps to take if you need to modify your child support order

On Behalf of | Dec 20, 2017 | child support

Life can change very quickly for a Florida resident. One day they may have a solid job and firm financial footing, and the next an employment termination may leave them in a precarious economic situation. As they work to get back on their feet, they may have to take on work that pays them substantially less than what they were making in their prior employment position.

A drop in income can impact a person on many levels. Aside from having to cut back on the luxury or enjoyment spending that they previously engaged in, they may have to seek more economical options for their necessities, such as less expensive housing or a cheaper vehicle payment. As income drops and paychecks get smaller, individuals may see their capacities to pay their financial obligations diminish and this can include their abilities to provide for their kids through child support.

When a person becomes unable to pay their child support there are several important steps they should take to begin the support modification process. First, they should not delay in communicating their need to reduce their payments to the court. If a parent keeps paying their normal amount for months after losing or changing jobs and then claims they are financially incapable of doing so, a court may look at their prior payments to see if that claim is verifiable.

A child support paying parent should also document their change in income so that, when they file with the court to modify their obligation, they have evidence of their diminished capacity to pay. A family law attorney can be an excellent resource for a parent in this tough situation to find the legal help they need to keep supporting their child.

Parents who pay child support should do their best to stay current on their payments. However, when life changes prevent them from keeping up, modifications can help them reduce their payments and do what they can to support and financially help out their children.