Will a move into Florida end my child’s support order?

On Behalf of | Dec 1, 2017 | child support

Families move into and out of Florida all of the time. Whether their relocations are due to personal preferences, job requirements or other rationales, it is not uncommon for a person to live in more than one state by the time they reach adulthood. Although moving alone can be stressful enough, some individuals who have operating family law orders may worry about how the enforcement of those orders will be managed under a new jurisdiction.

Particularly, a custodial parent who must move their child to Florida may wonder if their child’s noncustodial parent will still pay child support under their existing order. Some individuals may believe that the removal of a child from the state in which the order was created may allow the noncustodial parent to cease paying support. This is generally not the case.

Under the Revised Uniform Reciprocal Enforcement of Support Act states are allowed to utilize legal means of enforcing and regulating the continued payment of child support after a child is removed from the jurisdiction in which the order was entered into by a court. As such, a child who moves into Florida and has a child support order from another state should still receive financial support per the terms of their existing order.

Whenever a parent has concerns about the welfare of their child it can be easy for them to worry. However, child support concerns are not something that parents should have to confront alone. Family law attorneys can be excellent sources of information regarding important legal matters such as the continued applicability and enforcement of child support orders.