What can I do if my ex does not follow our child custody order?

On Behalf of | Jan 31, 2018 | child custody

When a Florida court approves a child custody agreement or promulgates a child custody order, it is effectively setting forth the rules by which the child’s parents must live in order to serve the child’s best interests. Even when parents follow custody agreements and orders conflicts can arise; in such situations it may be necessary for the parents to go back to court to have their custody plans modified. However, when one parent intentionally ignores the requirements of the custody schedule then the other parent may be at a loss for how to address the situation.

In some cases, parents are able to have meaningful and productive conversations about the custodial conflicts that they are experiencing. They may be able to change a drop-off time or location to better accommodate one parent’s work schedule and that small adjustment may fix their custodial issues. However, if the parents cannot come to terms on how to fix their issues, then it may be necessary for them to go to court.

A parent who intentionally or willfully disrupts a child’s custodial schedule may be committing custodial or visitation interference. This serious issue affects children and the relationships that they form with their parents. Custodial and visitation interference should be handled in court so that children are not put at risk of being used by the parents.

It is always a good idea for individuals experiencing custody issues to talk about their struggles with their family law attorneys. While in some cases it may be possible to handle matters with non-litigious strategies, in other cases it may be necessary to involve the courts to handle a serious child custody dispute.