Tips for locating a deadbeat parent

On Behalf of | Dec 27, 2018 | child support

In Florida, more children than ever are being born to unmarried couples. Getting married is a personal choice that does not affect an ability to raise children. However, staying unmarried does make it easier for one spouse to disappear if he or she does not wish to parent or pay any expenses for the children. In other words, to avoid paying child support when he or she decides to no longer be a part of the relationship.

These are commonly known as “deadbeat parents” and they keep child support enforcement agencies in every state busy. So, how can one locate a missing parent for the purposes of enforcing and collecting child support?

There are a few ways. First, gather as much information as possible. Talk to friends, family, co-workers and former employers. One never knows what tiny bit of information may receive to further the search. Second, use social media. Browse around on the pages of mutual friends and more distant family members. There are many other social networks than Facebook. Be sure to check them all. Social media is the greatest search tool in today’s world.

While the Office of Child Support Enforcement does maintain a Federal Parent Locator Service (FPLS), custodial parents usually have to perform their own investigative work to locate a deadbeat parent. The FPLS collects data from sources such as employment databases, but it will not perform an as in-depth investigation as possible. Often, deadbeat parents are located simply by routine traffic stops where an officer checks for outstanding warrants.