Court: kids with ex-mistress should share in ‘good fortune’

When married parents divorce or break up, or when only one of the unmarried parents of a child has custody, the court may order the non-custodial parent, the parent with whom the child does not live, to pay a certain portion of their income as child support.

Miguel Cabrera has been ordered by a Florida court to provide the children he fathered with his ex-mistress with the same lifestyle and opportunities enjoyed by the three kids he has with his marital wife. While deciding the case the court took multiple factors such as needs of the children, the father’s ability to pay and father’s good fortune into consideration and ordered Cabrera to pay both allocated and unallocated child support. The unallocated child support allows the mother to spend the money as she sees proper.

The millionaire baseball player is asked by the Orange County Circuit Court to pay his former lover $20,000 a month in unallocated child support and, in addition to that, pay allocated child support for specific expenditures such as private schooling, health care, extracurricular activities and prescriptions. The court also ordered Cabrera to pay off the mortgage of the mother’s nearly $1 million house, secure $5 million life insurance for both children until they attain majority, buy them annual passes to Walt Disney World, Universal Studios, Sea World and Orlando Science Center, pay attorney fees of the mother and pay the mother nearly $90,000 in unpaid child support. Reportedly the baseball player earns $30 million a year.

Child support payments are very important as these payments are meant to take care of the basic needs of the children. In the case of school-aged children, child support is needed for school expenses and other financial needs. Many states in the United States, including Florida, have strict guidelines regarding child support payments. Child support orders are issued by the family court, which decides the amount of the support on the state child support guidelines. These guidelines determine the amount of support that has to be paid, based largely on the non-custodial parent’s income and the number of children. Failure to pay child support can even lead to imprisonment.

If you’re going through a possible child support payment issue or dispute, whether due to divorce or as a single parent, a family law attorney can assist by fairly and fervently representing either side in a child support proceeding.